Rope bowls can be used around the house and they can also make really wonderful containers for gift baskets. If you buy one, it can cost quite a bit which will push up the cost of your gift. Even if you are making them for yourself, saving money is always a bonus.
You will need:
- Glass, ceramic, or metal bowl
- Glue gun
- Heat your glue gun and, when you are ready, apply some glue to the end of the rope. The type of rope and the thickness you choose will depend on the size of the bowl. The smaller the bowl, the thinner the rope should be.
- Applying glue on the frayed end of the rope will help prevent it from fraying further.
- Before the glue sets, roll the rope to start creating a base. You will need to apply more glue as you roll the rope up to form a disc. Hold the rope in place and allow it to dry and harden before you place the base on top of the base of your bowl.
- Use a glass, ceramic, metal, or any other non-porous bowl. If you use a wicker bowl, for example, any excess glue can result in the rope sticking to your bowl.
- Continue running the rope around along the outside of the bowl and glue as you go.
- Once you reach the halfway mark, you can comfortably flip the bowl over to make it easier to work with.
- Continue until you have completed your bowl and let the glue set. Once hardened, you can remove the bowl and, if necessary reinforce your design with extra glue should you have missed any spots.
Depending on the size of your bowl, you can use it to hold anything from small soaps to fresh fruit. You can even arrange various goodies inside and present it to a loved one as a gift. If you want to get really creative with your rope design, you can use three strands of rope, braid them, and then make your bowl design.