Mother’s Day gives kids the opportunity to get involved in the crafts as well as in the kitchen. The level of their involvement in the kitchen will depend on age and experience. For the most part, kids will need a hand putting everything together.
Easy mug cake
- 2 Tbsp self-raising flour
- 2 Tbsp brown suar
- 2 Tbsp cocoa powder
- ¼ tsp baking powder
- 1 egg
- 2 Tbsp milk
- 1 Tbsp oil
- 2 Tbsp chocolate spread (like Nutella)
- Ice cream to serve
- Combine the sugar, cocoa, flour, and baking powder in a bowl.
- Make a well inside this mixture of dry ingredients and add the milk, oil, and egg.
- Beat the mixture together until completely combined.
- Spoon the mixture into a large mug and then spoon some chocolate spread into the middle of the mixture in the mug.
- Microwave on high for about 70 seconds or until the cake rises. Make sure that you keepan eye on the cake and be prepared to press stop if the mixture looks like it’s going to overflow.
- Top with ice cream and serve.
- 125g softened butter
- 1 cup caster sugar
- ½ cup brown sugar
- 2 eggs
- 1 cup banana (mashed)
- ½ tsp vanilla extract
- 2 cups flour (plain)
- 2 tsp baking powder
- ½ cup milk
- 1 cup icing sugar
- 2 – 3 Tbsp lemon juice
- Preheat oven to 180 degrees Celsius.
- Grease a 20cm square baking in and line with baking paper.
- Cream together the butter and sugar until fluffy.
- Beat in one egg at a time before adding the mashed bananas and then the vanilla.
- Sift in the dry ingredients and the milk.
- Beat until all ingredients are fully combined.
- Pour into the tin and bake for about 45 minutes.
- Allow to cool for about 5 minutes before turning the cake out and allowing to cool on a wire rack.
- Make icing using the lemon juice and icing sugar. Spread over the cake only once the cake is cool.
If these are not exactly what your mother may enjoy, there is another great option that will always be a hit – pancakes! Let the little one measure out the ingredients and beat everything together. Once you cook and flip the pancakes, your little one can decorate them with mum’s favourite toppings and serve to her in bed!