Wicker baskets often look lovely in their natural state. They can also be used to serve a more appropriate decorative purpose if you give them an aged appearance. The aged, driftwood look has a way of enhancing various rooms with its subtle beauty.
You will need:
- Wicker basket
- Wood stain if your basket is naturally light in colour. A medium wood stain is good but you should avoid red tones.
- Craft paint (choose a
- Acrylic paint (choose an almost gray colour)
- Stiff paint brushes (stencil brushes of various sizes are good)
- Stiff scrubbing brush
- Cheap paint brushes
- Paper towels
- If your basket is light in colour, it’s good to stain the basket before you begin. If your basket is darker in colour, then you can skip this step.
- When applying the stain, you should do so using a cheap brush. There’s no sense in ruining a perfectly good brush for this step. Make sure that you stir the stain properly and coat your basket. You need not get in every single groove and crevice but you should apply a relatively even coat before allowing the stain to dry.
- When the stain is dry, you are ready to colour-wash the basket.
- Use a stiff brush and apply the acrylic paint over the entire surface.
- Use your smaller brush to apply the paint into the smaller spots in between and allow to dry.
- Once completely dry, scrub the entire basket with the scrubbing brush. Use plenty of pressure and make sure that you only brush in long horizontal strokes. This helps emphasize the crannies along the basket and gives it added character.
- Now mix your craft paint with 50% water and apply to the entire surface of your wicker basket
- Gently wipe the basket dry with paper towels to remove the extra colour.
- Run a dry paint brush over the surface to leave desirable marks and allow to dry before putting your basket to good use.
The way in which you use this newly stained and painted basket will depend on your needs and the size of the basket itself. You can use it anywhere in your home or even to package a gift for a loved one. These baskets look particularly lovely when filled with bath and body products. Lighter shades of purple also compliment the finish of this basket so feel free to add a bow or other accessories.