If you have never baked before or the kitchen is not exactly your best friend, you might feel reluctant to try anything new. Perhaps you have one or two recipes that you are comfortable making but baking is not particularly your forte. Or perhaps you simply don’t have the time to make something too complicated. Regardless of your reason behind avoiding the kitchen, you should definitely make an exception for Valentine’s Day. Once you have your flowers and gift ready, what better way to add that personal touch than by baking a delicious cake? With this easy recipe, you can’t go wrong!
- 2 cups regular white sugar
- 1 ¾ cups all-purpose flour
- ¾ cup cocoa powder (unsweetened)
- 1 ½ tsp baking powder
- 1 ½ tsp baking soda
- 1 tsp salt
- 2 whole eggs
- 1 cup milk
- 1 cup boiling hot water
- 2 tsp vanilla extract
- ½ cup vegetable oil
- Preheat your oven to 175 degrees C and prepare two 9 inch round pans by greasing and flouring them.
- Use a large bowl to mix your ingredients.
- Start by mixing the sugar, flour, baking powder, baking soda, cocoa and salt.
- Now add the milk, eggs, vanilla and oil.
- Mix with electric mixer on medium speed.
- Once the mixture is well blended, add the hot water and mix thoroughly.
- Pour the relatively thin mixture into the two pans.
- Back for 30 to 35 minutes and test with a toothpick before removing.
- Allow to cool in the pans for 10 minutes before removing and placing on wire racks to cool completely.
- Now you have two perfect chocolate layers! All you need to do now is mix up some icing and decorate!
Remember to keep a close eye on your oven while the cakes are baking. You may need to rotate the pans by 90 degrees halfway through the baking process. You must also wait patiently until the baked cakes have cooled down completely before you decorate with icing sugar. Don’t forget about the Valentine’s Day theme and decorate with red hearts or cupids. You can find wonderful decorative items (edible and ornamental) from bakeries and craft shops. Just take some time to look around and plan your design.