Chocolate is the kind of sweet treat that just about everyone loves. It is versatile as a dessert too. Chocolates can be made with a variety of fillings. Everything from nuts and dried fruit to different types of alcohol and even chilli can be used to spice up your favourite chocolate. If you have never tried making your own alcohol-filled chocs, here is an easy recipe to follow. Once you make chocolates yourself, you will wonder why you never tried it sooner!
What you need:
- Chocolate (for melting and making your chocolate cups)
- 240g of water
- 240g of liqueur of your choice
- 390g of extra fine granulated sugar
- 60g of unsalted butter (softened)
- 60g of confectionery fondant
- Candied orange peels (one for each chocolate cup)
- Grapeseed oil
- You will need to prepare your chocolate cups before you begin. They need time to set completely before they can be filled.
- Mix the sugar and water together and allow to boil for approximately one minute before allowing the mixture to cool to room temperature.
- Add the liqueur to the sugar water mixture.
- Place a candied orange peel in each of your chocolate cups. If you want to keep the peel from floating to the top, you can secure it to the chocolate cup with a drop of melted chocolate. Allow it to set before adding the liqueur mixture.
- Fill each of the cups with the liqueur and sugar mixture but leave some space on the top.
- Now cream together your butter and fondant before placing it in the microwave for just a few seconds. This will make it easier to work with.
- Place the liquid fondant mixture in a piping bag and pipe the mixture over the top of each of your chocolate cups.
- Allow the fondant to become firm at room temperature before you continue.
- Add a few drops of grapeseed oil to your melted chocolate to thin it out and top off each of your chocolate cups with this mixture.
- Allow your chocolates to set at room temperature. Do not refrigerate! The colder temperature of the fridge will make chocolates harden quicker but it also alters their texture, appearance and flavour.
You can make chocolates filled with just about any type of alcohol. Of course, it is best to opt for liqueurs rather than spirits. They will still have a strong flavour but the result is creamier and far more pleasant from start to finish.