There are dozens of chocolate cake recipes out there but they are not all fluffy and delicious. If you want to make the perfect cake, you need just a few basic ingredients and the right method. Follow these steps for cake that will melt in your mouth.
Chocolate cake ingredients:
- 2 cups sugar
- 2 cups cake flour
- 4 Tbsp cocoa
- 6 eggs (separated)
- 1 cup cooking oil
- 1 cup warm water
- 2 Tbsp baking powder
- 200g quality chocolate (Cadbury’s is a great option)
- In a bowl, mix the sugar, egg yolks, cooking oil and warm water.
- In a separate bowl, sift the flour and cocoa well. Sifting twice will help create the fluffiest chocolate cake!
- Mix all of the ingredients together.
- Add the baking powder.
- Beat the egg whites and fold into the mixture.
- Pour into a baking tin or, if you prefer, you can make cupcakes.
- Bake for 30 minutes at 180 C.
- Allow to cool completely.
- Melt the chocolate and pour over the top of your cake.
- Allow to set and enjoy!
By topping your cake with real chocolate instead of icing sugar, you give it an even better flavour. Take care not top use cooking chocolate or cheap chocolate since it will not turn out quite as good as if you were to use a high quality milk chocolate. Remember to allow your cake to cool slightly in the baking pan or cupcake pan before removing and placing on a wire rack. Allow to cool completely before pouring and spreading the chocolate on top. You can enjoy these cakes right after decorating with chocolate or you can store them in an airtight container for a couple of days. They are perfect for birthdays or even just when you feel like baking something delicious.