Summer has arrived and it’s time to start planning your next delicious yet healthy sweet treat. Fruit salad is the perfect addition after a summer BBQ or any meal for that matter. Here’s an easy recipe for making the perfect summer fruit salad.
- ⅓ cup fresh lemon juice
- ⅔ cup fresh orange juice
- ⅓ cup packed brown sugar
- ½ teaspoon grated lemon zest
- ½ teaspoon grated orange zest
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 2 cups strawberries, hulled and sliced
- 2 cups cubed fresh pineapple
- 3 bananas, sliced
- 3 kiwi fruit, peeled and sliced
- 2 oranges, peeled and sectioned
- 2 cups blueberries
- 1 cup seedless grapes
- In a pot, bring the lemon juice, orange juice, sugar, orange zest and lemon zest to a boil.
- Reduce the heat once boiling and allow to simmer until it starts to thicken. This takes about 5 minutes.
- Remove from heat and add vanilla extract.
- Set aside to cool.
- Layer your fruit in a large, clear glass bowl. Follow this order: pineapples, strawberries, kiwi, bananas, oranges, grapes and finally blueberries.
- Pour the cooled sauce over the fruit.
- Cover and refrigerate for 3 – 4 hours before serving.
This summer fruit salad can be enjoyed as is or you can top yours with whipped cream or vanilla ice cream if you want something a little colder and sweeter. If there are any concerns with fruit allergies, simply eliminate the fruit from this recipe.